It is with great sadness that Manitoba Gymnastics shares the news of the passing of Elfriede Goermann.
In 1977, Elfriede and her husband Wolfgang started a new club, Winnipeg Gymnastics Center. She served on the Women’s Technical Committee in Manitoba in positions such as Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Coaching Chairperson and Club Representative. As a Level 4 NCCP coach she represented Manitoba and Canada at various events including:
- Western Canadian Championships: 1974 – 2006
- Canadian Championships: 1975 – 2006
- Canada Winter/Summer Games: 1975, 1978, 1979, 1987, 1990, 1991
- Moscow News, USA vs Canada, Japan Junior Invitational, Coca Cola International – 1977
- Hungarian Invitational, Champions All Invitational, Pacific Rim, Bulgaria vs Canada, China International, World Championships; Chunichi Cup – 1978
- Gold Top International, Pacific Rim, Pan Am Games, Spartakiade, World Championships, World Cup, Chunichi Cup – 1979
- Coached an Olympic Team Member – Moscow Olympics (Boycotted) – 1980
- European Tour, World Championships – 1981
- Japan and USA International Invitationals – 1982
- Mexico International Invitational – 1983
- Coached Kathleen Finnegan-Leipsic – Olympic Alternate, Coached Monica Goermann – Qualified for Olympics – 1984
- Hungary International Invitational – 1985
- Austrian International Invitational – 1990
As a Brevet judge; she judged at many competitions including the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. In addition she was the recipient of many awards such as the Coach of the Year, Official of the Year, Jack Mowat Award, Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame Inductee; Elfriede was also named as a Life Member of Gymnastics Canada for her dedication and contribution to the sport.
Our deepest condolences to the Goermann family during this difficult time. Her achievements and lasting impact on the Sport of Gymnastics in Manitoba will never be forgotten.